Landscape Services Include
- Consultation by phone, e-mail or on site
- Exterior & Interior Customized computer enhanced landscape and construction designs
- Full plant and bed installation with endless options to choose from
- Landscape Maintenance (mulching, pruning, weed/brush eradication, edging, bed and leaf clean-up, spring garden preparation and winterizing, natural pest and disease control)
- Lawn and Garden ORGANIC fertilization and weed control program
- Tree and Stump Removal
- Skid Steer Services including: grading, rockhounding , ditch digging, backhoe, large brush removal, snow plowing, tree digging)
- Drainage Solutions: downspout extensions, rain gardens, pipe and drain installation, drainage basins, regrading to divert water, mosquito reduction
- Garden restoration: compost applications, plant relocating/removal, new plant installation, full nutrient, mineral, pH and microbial population rebalancing
- Lawn Installation and restoration: Seed slicing existing lawns, power plugging compacted soils, compost and compost tea applications, full ORGANIC disease and insect control program, sod installation, microbial population rebalancing
- Habitat Restoration: we build and restore native Ohio prairie areas, wetlands and bogs, woodlands, and xeric areas
- Soil Testing for: pH, nutrient content, CEC capacity, microbial analysis and count, salinity, heavy metals and other toxic substances
- All sized projects from commercial to real estate and residential
- Install rain gardens of all sizes
- Install rain barrels
- Specialize in native plant landscape including: prairie, wetland, woodland, rock garden, xeric (drought tolerant landscape)
- Other unique garden styles include: permenant edible landscape, companion plantings for organic pest control, European cottage garden, butterfly and bird habitat garden
Hardscape and Construction
- Stone features including: patios, walkways, walls and staircases with various natural selections to choose from including: many colors and sizes of flag stone, wall stone, slabs, outcroppings, boulders, river gravel, ornamental gravel, slate, historic reclaimed stone
- Water Features including: ornamental ponds, waterfalls and fountains, wetlands and bogs, creekbeds, pondless waterfalls (safe for pets and children!)
- Soil moving and grading to create: privacy mounds, swales, erosion control basins, bed building, pond installation
- Concrete installation on all sized projects: concrete stamping, veneering and coloring
- Pavers and concrete block installation
- Wood and composite installation of decks, gazebos, arbors, storage sheds, bridges and fences
- Stone fireplaces, sitting walls, fire pits, terraced walls, veneering and historic restoration projects
- Statue, memorial plaque, large urn and container installation
- Landscape Lighting Installation
- Bamboo, timber, wrought iron, clay and vinyl are additional building materials we can use
Other Lawn and Garden Services:
Compost Spreading- on both lawn and garden areas. Compost applications have zero odor, and are the best practice for returning balance to lawn and garden soils. When soil becomes unbalanced, diseases that would normally be kept in check by other soil organisms, become prevalent in both lawn and garden soils. Many known soil borne diseases such as fusarium, snow mold, dollar spot and brown patch can cause harm to valuable lawn and garden areas. Compost Spreading adds a healthy balance of soil microorganisms that, when applied at the proper rate, will reduce the incidence of soil borne disease, and ultimately result in healthier plants.
Other benefits to Compost Spreading include:
A. Loosening compacted clay soils so water and air can better stimulate plant root growth. Compost is oil for the soil, and in as little as one application, compost will help to relieve overly clay-bound soils, allowing plant roots to penetrate deeper into the soil for better access to water and nutrients.
B. Expedites the germination of grass or prairie seed mixes. Compost also helps to sustain healthy plants once the seed has established.
C. Compost increases the soils ability to hold nutrients, making them more available for plant root uptake.
D. Compost helps garden soils to resist erosion from rain, wind and irrigation. We are losing our valuable soils due to natural and man made processes, which eventually degrades the quality of our lawn and garden areas.
E. Compost helps to rejuvenate worn out lawn and garden soils, which lessens the amount of effort required to upkeep those areas. Compost applications keeps diseases in check, lessen the need to water, reduces the need to fertilize, increases soil porosity which reduces the need to power plug lawns and gardens as well as keeping all lawn and garden areas looking and growing their very best!
F. Compost helps to reduce thatch build up in lawns.
G. Compost enriches the soil with organic matter which helps to sustain plant and soil organism health.
Safe and Natural Pest Control- Lawns and Gardens are crawling with pest insect, disease and vermin that if left unchecked, could destroy, or at the very least devastate the look of your lawn and garden areas. Marvin’s Organic Gardens has an arsenal of safe, organic and effective products and services that will help to keep in check lawn and garden pests.
- Milky Spore-is the most effective natural method of Japanese beetle grub eradication. Japanese beetle larvae live in the soil feeding on tender grass roots. One thousand adult beetles lay 50,000 grubs a year. Japanese beetle grubs feed on tender lawn and garden roots, often injuring plants. Milky Spore contains a safe and beneficial bacteria called Bacillus populus, that will not harm earthworms or other friendly soil organisms. Milky spore is safe for humans and animals. One application of Milky Spore in a lawn and garden area can continue to suppress Japanese beetle larvae for as many as 10 years or more!
- Mole Control-is accomplished by either trapping or by applying natural repellants. MOG will make routine check ups on all mole traps, and/or maintain an active barrier of natural repellants around designated areas.
- Natural Insect Control for Slugs, Scale, Aphid, Spider Mite, Bag Worm, Tent Catepillar and many other pest insects. MOG carries and uses many certified organic pest insect and disease control products that are effective at pest suppression, and safe for humans, animals, soil and aquatic life.
Vertical Slit Seeding- of existing lawn areas that may be sparse or overtaken with weeds. Over seeding an existing lawn is the fastest way to choke out weed competition and restore a lawn to its thickest, most full look. We offer this service in both the spring and fall. Vertical Slit Seeding also helps alleviate the damaging affects of thatch build up in lawn areas.
Natural Weed Control-in addition to applications of preemergent corn gluten for the control of weed seed germination, MOG offer many additional services for naturally controlling weeds in you lawn and garden areas. All MOG weed control methods are much safer for humans, animals, soil and aquatic life than conventional weed control methods.
- Burn Out and Natures Avenger are 100% biodegradable non-selective herbicides. Both natural herbicides become inert once in the soil, and leave no toxic residue behind. Both Burn Out and Natures Avenger can be applied in lawn and garden areas, as well as sidewalks, patios and driveways, and can be used to edge around trees, shrubs, fencing, walkways and building foundations.
- Mulch applications-MOG offers a wide diversity of mulch options such as pine straw, pine bark, hard wood mulch, pine fines, cocoa shells, municipal wood chips, ornamental gravel or recycled tire rubber. Mulching landscape and vegetable beds helps to reduce weed issues and lessens the needs to water those areas.
- Newspaper layering applications are the fastest way to rid your garden areas of small or large weed invasions. If applied correctly, newspaper will smother and cover even the most aggressive weeds. All newspaper layering applications are mulched after the layering is complete.
- Manual Eradication is accomplished by physically removing the weeds or large brush by hand, or with the help of a bobcat.
- Select Plantings that will helps to suppress weed competition. Many groundcovers are considered living mulches because of their ability to choke out weed competition. In addition to groundcovers, there are many grasses, perennials, shrubs and trees that will smother or shade out potential weeds. MOG selects plantings that are not invasive and have the ability to reduce weed competition while remaining attractive throughout the seasons.
- Weed Flaming is a service MOG offers only if requested due to the unpredictability of fire.
Powering Plugging- can help to alleviate compacted lawn and garden soils. MOG offer this service, and recommends spreading compost over freshly power plugged areas to help rejuvenate the soil around plant roots.
Core Drilling & Air Knifing are both methods MOG uses to help increase air, water and nutrient movement around the roots of trees and shrubs in compacted clay soils. MOG recommends spreading compost over freshly core drilled or air knifed areas to help rejuvenate the soil around plant roots.
Soil, Water and Plant Tissue Testing is a service MOG offers to help determine a soils nutrient and biological needs. A tissue or soil test can help to determine what minerals and nutrients are lacking so that we can fertilize appropriately. This service can help our customers to save money by pin pointing the cause of lawns and garden plants unhealthy appearance or decline so that the problem can be corrected with only the products needed. Soil testing can also help to determine soil structure which can be corrected by adding compost or other soil amendments.
Complete lawn and garden soil restoration is needed only when plants and soils have degraded beyond the point of regular compost application techniques. This service requires the removal of lawn and/or garden plants in selected areas and complete topdressing of compost is applied. Areas are then amended with additional organic soil health products such as beneficial soil organisms, compost tea or turface, all which is decided on each individual site according to the soils specific requirements. Following applications, lawn areas are reseeded and/or landscape plants are replanted.
Drainage System Installation include a diversity of methods that MOG uses to reduce drainage issues in both lawn and garden areas. Standing water is one of the leading causes of root rotting diseases as well as reducing access into to lawn and garden areas due to mud. Drainage systems include underground pipes and surface drains to pull water out of lawn and garden areas. French drain and channel drain systems can be directed to in-ground basins so that excess water tat is removed doesn’t cause your neighbors the same problem. Downspouts and sump pump pipes can also be buried and directed towards underground water basin.